[vdr] Re: maybe a bit OT: hardware ctrl-alt-del

Hello,

with the LCD driver written by Nils Faerber it is possible to connect a
small keypad to the parallel port. It is - as described before - nothing
else than 4 switches that connect PPort-Pins to ground. I haven't tried
this (relatively new) feature of the driver. In one of my boxes I run
the older LCD driver with such a Keypad, but my Keypad is read by a tool
named "ppd" or so, which is included in the "lowkal" package (an MP3
Player project).

If you are interested, I can look up the locations of the
programs/drivers. There was also a nice article about the LCD driver in
the German Linux Magazin in 1999. It should be available on the web at
www.linux-magazin.de. Nils Faerber also started a sourceforge project,
but I don't know if it still exists...

Unfortunately, this LCD wiring is not equal to the one LCDproc uses --
so you have to write your own scripts for VDR. But this is relatively
easy, the LCD is accessible as a normal character device at /dev/lcd.

BTW: It also works with an additional parallel port card (in my case an
old ISA card which I got for about 2 EUR at a "flew market".

Regards,
Dirk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index