[vdr] Re: "plugin" interface

Matthias Queisler wrote:

> hi list,
>
> with the 1.0.0pre1 release Klaus announced a next big step, a "plugin"
> interface. Klaus, could you please emplain to me and the list what it will
> be? I am very intrested in it and hope it will make it easier to program
> some new features for the vdr.

The whole idea of this is about making it easier to implement new features
like additional players and stuff like that - possibly without having to
patch the core VDR code (which often ends up in collisions between
different patches).

I don't have any written specs or code yet, but the basic idea is to
allow developers to build their code as a dynamically loadable library
with a well defined interface towards VDR. Inside that library will be the
functionality of the add-on, and specific (virtual) interface functions
will be called at certain events. In order for this to work, I will have to
reorganize the VDR source quite a bit. But I guess "after 1.0.0" is the
right time to go over the entire code again and regroup things with the
knowledge that wasn't there when I began coding VDR more than two years
ago (boy, time is really flying by...).

Please give me some time to come up with an initial implementation, so that
we have something "physical" to talk about. Right now I'm trying to get
version 1.0.0 as stable as possible, so there won't be any more big changes
to the current code, just bugfixes.

Klaus