[vdr] Re: Kernel-Patch to make VDR undisturbable

On Monday 08 April 2002 11:45, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> On Saturday 06 April 2002 23:30, Matthias Loetzke wrote:
> > Andreas Schultz (aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de) schrieb:
> one small correction though, heavy disk activity (copying a 2GB file on the
> same disk/partition) does disturb playback, heavy CPU activity (unrar,
> unzip) does not. IMHO can nothing in linux currently shield you from the
> disk problem. The block device elevator algorithm does not use any process
> priorities. Our read/write requests can therefore be delayed beyond the
> safty margins, resulting in overflows to vdr's internal buffers.
> I think XFS has some aproaches to solve this, i'll look into that a bit
> more.

have a look at the LAD Homepage (Linux Audio Developer):
      /www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad
They have same problem (and a solution): "Low Latency" patches to
the linux kernel:
      http:/www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/resourceslatency.php3

Werner

Home | Main Index | Thread Index