[vdr] Re: Should Master-Timer use a Database?

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> Currently i ask myself if i could/should convert Master-Timer to use a
> database (mysql) as a backend for storing information. (epg-data,
> timer-info, configuration ...)
>
> Any opinions on that? (Anyone against that?)

I think it's a god idea to have a standard software for storing and
retriving of epg data since more and more programms want to access it.
But I am not quite sure if a relational DB, a directory (LDAP) or
something else would be the best fit.
I don't think that XML is a good solution. It is just a file format.
What you'll might want is a standard way of accessing data. I. E.
searching, editing, synchronizing EPG Data from various sources ...
XML does not help with this tasks.
For configuration I strongly suggest to go the "UNIX way": simple human
readable text files.

Just some random thoughts ...

Christoph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index