[vdr] Nagravision decryption

does anybody know if Nagravision is hardware or
software based at the recieving end?  What I'm asking
is if all you need is a CI to get it or if you need
hardware like chips to decode it.  A few channels in
Europe are encrypted this way, but most are just DVB
or have 'Irdeto 2' also.  I thinking you do need a
chip to get decrypt it, Dish Networks here in the US
wants you to buy their box so they put a chip in it
you have to have to buy there box, at the same time
makeing it impossible to get those channels on your pc
with a DVB-s card and a CI and CIM.

Anyone know?