[vdr] Re: instant recording - timer?

Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 08:49:45AM +0100, Dave Chapman wrote:
> > Some "traditional" VCRs that I have used have an "instant record" function
> > that defaults to 30 minutes.  Pressing the instant record key again (within a
> > few seconds) increases this to 1 hour and so on.  This was always very easy
> > to use.
>
> That's nearly true. All VCRs I know default to
> "until end of cassette", "30 mins", "60 mins" and so on after each
> pressing of record and some with the option to enter a) an exact stop
> time or b) an exact running time.

My Panasonic "NV-FS200 HQ" has a red "Record" button, and if I press
that button it starts to record (until it runs out of tape). Further
pressing of that button doesn't change anything.

The idea behind the instant recording feature of VDR was that people
want to start a recording as quickly and easily as possible. Any kind
of "magic" like having to press the button several times to increase the
recording time might only irritate. Besides, what if you pressed the
button one time too often? How to you set the time back?

I guess this whole discussion wouldn't have started if the default instant
recording time would have been longer. I'll therefore make it 3 hours by
default and user configurable.

Klaus