[vdr] Re: SAMBA incompatibilities with VFAT=1 directory names

Sorry, your'e right here.

> > And there are more problems with all these cryptic names. One
> > example: I use somtimes the ftp voyager from RHINO Soft. It is
> a very nice
> > tool on W2K but if a directoryname starts with %B or some other
> %<character>
> > it can not read its content.
>
> I'd consider this a bug of "ftp voyager" - why don't you ask the
> programmers of
> that tool to fix it?

This was just an EXAMPLE for one of the programs I know where people did not
take in mind that there are more characters in the computer alphabet than
the basics. I don't want to get everybody to be perfect. You will find
crappy software in each OS, also in your prefered one.

> > And there will be more applications in the
> > wilderness of M$ which will have problems with the directory names.
>
> Oh, really?!

Oh yes, and thats why they are so successfull to sell also there bugfixes.

> > So what do you think to get back to real file and directory names,
>
> Without VFAT=1 VDR *DOES* write *REAL* names - Linux can do that :-)

Ok, no discussion about that..

> > which might be cryptic for the human but very clear for the systems (a
> > directoryname is a directoryname is a directoryname ...).
>
> Huuh??! - What exactly are you voting for: human readable or
> encoded filenames?

I started to write you this answer: (If I like to write prosa like "
%Was#5FSie#5Fschon#5Fimmer#5Fueber#5FSex#5Fwissen#5Fwollten "
(37,28%overhead) I prefere Staroffice or M$-Word (according to the needs of
the actual work). But for using the filesystem I try to find something more
convenient like "recording1", "recording2", ...). But I noticed during
writing that this is realy, realy difficult to decide what the best way is.
So forget this point and stay with your system.

> > And if you stay
> > with "old" filenameconvention (ASCII128, 8.3 uppercase(?) alphanumeric
> > without characters below #20(space) ) you will nearly have no
> problems with
> > any foreign system.
>
> If Windows had implemented "long filenames" correctly in the first place,
> we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Useless discussion! Do you mean, if Windows had implemented "long filenames"
as UNIX/LINUX  has done it...?? or ...
Who decides in this artificial world of computers what is right or wrong?

> > VDR could use than the summary file or whatever to create all
> that content
> > for the human reading. As somtimes discussed here it could be from a XML
> > file or any other structured datafile. But please keep it in a
> flat ASCII
> > file again for compatibility.
>
> I didn't choose Linux as "my" operating system, where I can store
> a recording's
> name in its plain directory name, just to throw all this away because some
> crappy, broken, so called "operating system" from Redmond is
> unable to deal with
> directory names correctly. Encoding characters that cause
> problems under Windoze
> is as far as I will go - if you want anything else, you can
> always implement that
> yourself. However, the core VDR source will not do that as
> default. Linux can
> handle any directory names, so why shouldn't VDR use this?

Hey, I don't want to stomp you on your feet. This were some thoughts about
making the filesystem more clean. If this is such a big deal and really a
core functionality than please leave it as it is.

> > Maybe there are real RFC's for directory and filenames and if
> they are there
> > lets use them without (tricksing) doing everything what is possible.
>
> There is no "tricksing" when VDR creates a directory with a plain
> text name.
> It's neither VDR's nor Linux's fault that Windoze is broken.
>
> Gee, a few days ago I said to myself I wouldn't get involved in
> discussions
> about Windoze deficiencies any more. But when reading messages
> like this one,
> requiring every software to limit itself to the capabilities (or
> lack thereof)
> of Windoze, I just can't hold back... Why don't people march
> towards Redmond
> and request M$ to fix *their* product?

Because I'm not interested to get 1 bugfix and 10 new bugs. I'm more
interested in helping and trying to improve a software like VDR. Maybe my
thaughts are not helpful and that it is not on top of your prioritylist that
also people which uses other OS's because of many different reasons can use
your program. But I hope that my remarks haven't hurt you too much.

Kind regrads
Manfred

> Klaus
> --
>
> Klaus Schmidinger                       Phone: +49-8635-6989-10

-------                   Manfred Schmidt-Voigt                  -------
-----                  Gunzweg 10, 22393 Hamburg                   -----
-------          mailto:manfred.schmidt-voigt@mannitec.de         -------

Home | Main Index | Thread Index