[vdr] Re: Feasibility of VDR mods

Steve Brown wrote:

> I'm working on a dvb (Nova/Budget) plugin for xine. Xine (xine.sf.net)
> uses software demuxers/decoders, rather than hardware.
>
> I realize that there is no CAM solution. However, the dvb here in North
> America is generally either fta or encrypted with no subscription available.
>
> Rather than trying to extend one of the existing front-ends for xine, it
> would might make more sense to use VDR. It's not clear (at least to me)
> how difficult it would be to do this. If it does have some merit, could
> you give me a list of features that a software back-end for VDR would
> have to have and how I might proceed?
>
> Some obvious requirements:
>
> 1. OSD
>     Xine does have support for this.
>
> 2. TV-out
>     At least Matrox supports a tv-out driver as well as several open
> source projects. I don't know about other graphics boards. How to hook
> up the xine decoder is TBD.
>
> I'd appreciate any/all thoughts.

I am currently in the process of implementing a plugin interface
that allows all sorts of add-ons to be hooked into VDR. A plugin
will be able to create an entry in the main menu in order to
be started by user interaction, and will be able to access the OSD
and DVB hardware. I hope to be able to come up with a frist draft
of this by next weekend.

Klaus