[vdr] Re: Idea: Volume Offset per Channel

On 1 May 2002 at 17:29, Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> But there seems to a structural problem:
>
> The same file is used for user specific setting
> and for technical settings.

yeah, that's the point IMHO.

channels.conf is great for updates - see the recent PW changes.

OTOH i always have to re-implement my sort order and my groups. and
the reference of timers.conf isnt helpful either.

> So each new entry or deletion may affect the timers-numbering...

yup ;-(

> i think there should be at least 2 .conf:
> One user specific, "taste-dependend" for example:
> containing the sequence of channels,
> the volume factor, the language, default videotext page,
> the colour setting etc.
>
> and an other MUCH more complicate .conf containing all
> satellite related values, not forgetting paramount values etc.

IMHO this would be the right time to switch to xml - i DONT want to
install a db like mysql for this - but xml would be a good choice.

rough structural ideas:

common <transunit>.xml (eg astra.xml, hotbird.xml, <cable>.xml ...)
    technical channel settings for a transmiting unit - all the
services
    this unit has to offer: channels, pids, languages unique key
<channel>
of the
    channel-name> or both depending on availability of EPG etc ...

private user.xml (or in the future <user>.xml)
    sort order, prefered language, grouping, volume, teletext-page
    references <channel>

private cards.xml
    dvb-cards in the system - card x can receive <transunits>,
priority to
    use the combination (maybe splited for viewing/recording)

private cam.xml
    <dvb-card> has <cam> for <channels>, priority to use the
combination
    (maybe splited for viewing/recording)

private timers.xml
    references <channel> - so we get that recording whatever the
users
    conf is

at start vdr would build its own receiveable channels list for each
card by merging cards.xml, cam.xml and the appropiate <transunit.xml>
and
applies user.xml (sorting, grouping, removing !!! ...).

so <transunit>.xml would be interchangeable even updateable via the
net, while all other settings stay between versions.
xml is easy to extend (lol) and to check - we could even build an
easy versioning mechanism for the files.

a future <user>.xml mechanism would allow this child-protection
system some of you wanted - and would give my wife _her_ settings
which would cancel out some of the channels (especially the one which
runs
motorcycleraces every two weekends) anyway *G*.

i know that klaus's conservativism on channels.conf has its own right
but
maybe we could discuss this in a broad and constructive, analytic way
get a full picture of a future version. im just a newbie in xml but i
would like to learn and contribute.

just my 2 groschen^cents.

mfg.tja...

--