[vdr] Re: What about a channel logical number ?

rene@bartschnet.de(Rene Bartsch)  02.05.02 00:09

Once upon a time Rene Bartsch shaped the electrons to say...

>> Sit back for a moment and think: a unique number for each channel
>> would have to be managed by some centralized organization. New
>> channels would have to be assigned new unique numbers, and in case a
>> channel "disappears", that number can't be re-used (at least for
>> some time).
>>
>> Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have such unique numbers. But
>> somebody would have to manage them. And you would have to convince
>> all sources of channel listings to use these unique channel ids,
>> otherwise I guess they wouldn't make too much sense...
>>
>> Klaus

>It mustn't be world-wide numbers, but if VDR internally would assign a
>unique identifier for each channel, there wouldn't be problems between
>channels.conf and timers (I had about 10 timers active on my
>test-system and updated my channels.conf - all recorded on wrong
>channels :-( ).

My opion is, that it is easier and more convient to use 2 lists:
One list for the user and one list for the computer.

The "uniq" number may be the MD5-hash of channel name,
frequency, polariationm, orbit and PID etc. That should be "uniq" enough
and is easy to generate.
The "uniq number" is only required to search the channel data fast
enough for the timers and the zapping list, or?
So such a "hash value" may be a sufficient way to go?

The user can sort "his" zapping table as he likes.
VDR can sort and expand the computers list as required.
If a channel is renamed or moved the user will be warned,
that the chanel seems to have disappeared.
To make that more convinent a third list with the
"old chanels" may be use ful, but not requored.

The other way is that the timers stores all relevant information
for recording.

Rainer

Home | Main Index | Thread Index