[vdr] Re: experimental ALSA support for VDR

On Saturday 04 May 2002 20:14, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a first cut of internal DD 5.1 decoding and analog soundcard out for
> vdr ready. The patch is intended for people with 6 channel analog out sound
> cards like e.g SB Live! 5.1. It replaces the external ac3dec or a52dec
> program.
> The patch is *NOT* for digital output, in fact it currently breaks all
> digital out modes. DVD playback and LiveAC3 on Pro7 work nicely ;-)
>
> To build vdr with the patch you'll need:
> - 5.1 analog out soundcard
> - ALSA 0.9 with libasound.so.2
> - liba52-0.7.3
>
> You have to start vdr with ' -a "cat > /dev/null" ' or similar to activate
> it, do not use ac3dec, a52dec or playac3 there!.
>
> The patch is at:
> http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~aschultz/dvd/vdr-alsa.diff.bz2
>
> It has been build on top of dvd-nav10, but It should also apply on top of
> recent AIO's.
>
> Please remember, the patch is *experimental*.
>
> Have fun
>
>    Andreas

Hi,

so in order to get full DolbyDigital sound with VDR all I need is a cheap
SBlive 5.1 and a 5.1 speaker set, right ??
I am just asking because because I thought that the SBlive's 5.1 decoder is
not (yet) supported under linux and I don't want to waste my money on buying
an analog 5.1 speaker set which then is useless.

So I would greatly appreciate if you can definately tell that it will work

and is there any difference between analog and digital out ???

I hope you continue developing your patch !

Thanks a lot !

regards
Tom

Home | Main Index | Thread Index