[vdr] Re: Fast booting - was: Re: Re: Newbie Q: anything else than Suse?

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 14:37, you wrote:
> Dear Marc,
> I am very interested in that modifications on Suse 7.3. Can you give some
> hints how to make the changes to the original init system ? What files
> should I take from LinuxFromScratch ? Have I to dive very deep into that,
> or can you give me a little ToDo-list?
>
> (must not be perfect, but like a guideline...)
>
> Thanx
> jm

It's actually quite simple: move your /etc/rc.d directory to something like
/etc/rc.d.old so you have a backup of your working SuSE init scripts.

Then unpack the rc.d and sysconfig directories from the file I've attached
into /etc and you're almost done.

In /etc/rc.d/init.d there are now the new bootscripts, read through them and
make changes as you like. I suggest adding a /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc.local script
that does your stuff (copy any other script from /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and modify
it) and make the links in the runlevel directory to that script.

More about this topic can be found on
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/3.3/chapter07/chapter07.html

Since there are very few scripts in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory and since
they are very short it is _way_ easier to understand and modify than the SuSE
scripts ;-)

C'ya,
	Marc

--