[vdr] Re: Distributed VDR

Malcolm Caldwell schrieb:

> On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 04:19, Jan Grell wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I like to vote for such an command-line-option.
> > > Is this a big change in the code  / or your concept of vdr?
> > > Are there more people who can imagine to have such an hardware-configuration
> > > with two machines?
> >
> > I could imagine several clients (living room, sleeping room, office etc.) which
> > could use a central media (video, mp3 etc.) server.
> > Are there other (possibly cheaper) MPEG2-Decoders which could run in the
> > clients? (Without DVB receiver; for rooms without satellite cabling)
>
> There are MPEG2-Decoders - like the dxr3.  There is even the beginnings
> of implementing the DVB driver API for this in the DVB cvs. (currently
> the drivers arround use their own driver API).  I don't know how far
> along the driver is.

Well, having a real "VDR-server" which just streams the picture and
sound to the clients would definitely be better than multiple VDRs
accessing the same directory. Just think of 2 people wanting change
timer.conf simultaniously.
Anyhow with a VDR-server we might also use a software-only solution. If
mplayer can run on syncfb it could serve as a client. You can easily
change the settings of your graphics card so you can get a nice
RGB-video for your TV-set.

Servus
  Casandro

> > These clients could also run diskless, much quieter though.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Jan
> > ---
> >   grell-netz.de - computer services