[vdr] Re: Watch VIDEO over W-LAN

Axel Gruber schrieb:

> Hello List
>
> I know this subjekt was diskussed some time ago but i have still some questions:
>
> Since some dayīs im a proud owner of a Small Notebook with build in  Wireless LAN.
>
> So i came to the idea that it would be a nice thing to watch with VDR recorded Movies
> over this W-LAN on the Notebook - or stream the realtime TV-Picture.
>
> I have tested it with this configuration:
>
> FILESERVER + SAMBA
> Copyed some .vdr files to a "readable" samba-Directory.
>
> installed The Elcad-Player on the  WINXP (notebook)
>
> ---> Tryed it!
>
> Sound and Picture was not very good (stottern) - so i think that the W-LAN
> Connection was too slow so i connected a "Network-Cable" directly to the
> Notebook - and everything works fine - sound and Picture is very well :-)
>
> But i donīt understand why the W-LAN is too slow ?
>
> If iīm near enough to one of my Access-Ponts i have 11MBIT DATA-RATE
> Thatīs  1,375 MB/s
>
> i Though that eg. RTL sent only 3,9 MBIT/s = 0,487 MB/S
>
> Does anyone have a IDEA - or do i calculate wrong ?
>
> Perhaps the Filehandling over the Network need so much Bandwith ?
>
> Is there a way to "stream" it over the W-Lan so the BANDWITH is enough ?
>
> If anyone have a idea or a sugesstion - please let me know.
>
> Axel Gruber

Well maybe your laptop isn't fast enought to decode MPEG2 in realtime,
I've tried it on my Ibook and I think the problem ther was processor
speed. Anyhow SMB isn't really optimized for that. I've tried a
100MBit/sec line with NFS once, and even had network problems there.

Servus
  Casandro

Home | Main Index | Thread Index