[vdr] Re: divx with horizontal 768 pixels

Hello Tobias,

Tobias Kerner wrote on Saturday, June 15, 2002, 2:17:45 PM:

TK> now  I  understand.  I always thought the TV pixels are stretched in
TK> the  heighth.  so  when I have a 4:3 movie with a resolution 544x576
TK> recorded  with  vdr  and  now I want to convert it to divx, should I
TK> scale it to 720x576 (no the correct aspect ratio) or 720x540 (aspect
TK> ration would be correct then)?

When you create AVI files, you should definitely scale all 4:3 videos to
exactly  4:3  (which is 768x576) and all 16:9 recordings to exactly this
aspect ratio.
Scaling  can make a video worse, but AVI doesn't contain an aspect ratio
flag  or  something like this. So all videos are played back with square
pixels.
Because  IMHO  768x576  are  too  much pixels for an DivX at ~ 1200-1500
kbps,  I  prefer  downscaling to about 200.000 pixels. Try it - it don't
look less sharp than the source.

Bye, Uwe.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index