[vdr] Re: AW: VDR-Network-Traffic-Managment

Hello!

Am Dienstag, 18. Juni 2002 08:00 schrieb Steffen Koch:
> Axel Gruber wrote:
> >>A switch would be enough. (around 50 Euros for 8 port 100MBits)
> >>I've the little bit more expensive version. I've a 3com switch,
> >>configured port trunking for 4 ports and also 4 ethernet-cards in the
> >>file-server. that gives you a theoretical throughput of 400MBits in and
> >>400MBits out. Should be enough.
> >
> > Hi - das hoert sich interessant an !
> > Frage:
> > Wenn dein SErver 4 NICīs hat - hat er doch auch 4 IPīs. Hast du das dann
> > so gemacht, daß du z.B.: Client 1-5 IP1, Client 6-10 IP2 usw......
>
> There is a load balencing driver for linux that handles that stuff
> automatically

The Linux Kernel supports "Ethernet Bonding":

Bonding driver support
CONFIG_BONDING
  Say 'Y' or 'M' if you wish to be able to 'bond' multiple Ethernet
  Channels together. This is called 'Etherchannel' by Cisco,
  'Trunking' by Sun, and 'Bonding' in Linux.

  If you have two Ethernet connections to some other computer, you can
  make them behave like one double speed connection using this driver.
  Naturally, this has to be supported at the other end as well, either
  with a similar Bonding Linux driver, a Cisco 5500 switch or a
  SunTrunking SunSoft driver.

  This is similar to the EQL driver, but it merges Ethernet segments
  instead of serial lines.

  If you want to compile this as a module ( = code which can be
  inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want),
  say M here and read <file:Documentation/modules.txt>.  The module
  will be called bonding.o.

Mermgfurt!
Andi

--
Web:   http://www.flood-net.de/
Mail:  flood@flood-net.de

Windows sucks, Linux rules :-)              http://srom.zgp.org/
Watch more TV! http://www.cadsoft.de/people/kls/vdr/software.htm
Who needs DivX?                          telnet blinkenlights.nl

Home | Main Index | Thread Index