[vdr] Re: VDR files to vob

Andreas Schultz wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 July 2002 23:37, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>>Andreas Schultz wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,

>>>I looked a bit more into the remuxing and i will not spend any more time
>>>on it. The remuxer will have to be rewritten from ground up to get
>>>sensible results
>>
>>What's wrong with it? I thought it would just take an extra data
>>record to satisfy dumb players?
>

> The players YES, but not the VOB format. I think the ultimate goal should be
> to be able to record the resulting file without further processing to a DVD
> (at least that would be my goal). For that the PS packets have to be 2048
> bytes, which in turn means that the contained PES packets can be max. 2034
> bytes long (including the PES header).

You are right, the ultimate goal should be compliance to the VOB format.
But I think a short term goal could be to gain compatibility with dumb
players. The reason for this is that this would make further processing
much more easy.

There isn't many Software, which could deal with the current vdr format
(currently I know pvastrumento under win32 and mplayer/mencoder under
linux). So  therefore you have an additional step: demux. This step
involves in most cases a/v-sync problems. Player software is designed to
avoid this problem. My short tests with your quick hack didn't show this
problems too. Besides this the additional step is time consuming and
needs a lot of hd space.

> [...]

Hans-Peter

--
Hans-Peter Raschke           Tel.:   +49 441 9304064
Wintermann DatenService      Fax:    +49 441 9304069

Home | Main Index | Thread Index