[vdr] Re: Ready: IR Controller with remote power on

Hi,

I have now uploaded the schematic, the layout, and the PIC code.

Just a few remarks on the replies:

Am 01.08.2002 20:48 schrieb Christian Berger:

> ... and power-hungry ATX power supplies.

Nope, standby is quite OK, around 5 watts as Christian already wrote.
It would be possible to use a small extra power supply (0.5 watts) and
totally turn off the ATX SMPS. But: DIY projects dealing with mains
voltages are too dangerous for unexperienced people. To make it save, an
external AC/DC plug-in adaptor would have to be used combined with an
external switch box (containing a mechanical relay or SSR) plus the
necessary connection to the IR Controller. That's too much ...
A better solution would be to open the ATX SMPS and add an SSR (Solid
State Relay) plus a small transformer for powering the IR Controller.
This modification would be too dangerous.
A good compromise is to accept the 5 watts dissipation in standby. Also,
there is a power switch at the back side to turn off the ATX supply
completely ...

> 1. It's SMD, that's hard to build at home, unless you are experienced.

As I said, it's simple to route a thru-hole components version.

> 2. It seems to be really complex, I mean the PIC is a complete
> computer in  a chip. I personally don't like the philosophy of using
> more and more deciated processors. I'm personally more a fan of using
> the CPUs already found in a normal computer.

This is the usual way. Without a microcontroller, this funtionality
would be almost impossible to implement and much *more* complex. And you
really want to run a Pentium class CPU to let it just wait for some IR
signals?? You said that you wanted to save power ;-)

Am 01.08.2002 22:41 schrieb Karsten Mueller:

> how much is it ?

Component prices plus your time, if you do it yourself ;-)

> will there be a "kit for dummies", i.e. layout, components, maybe
> even a complete package one can buy ?

VDR is just a hobby - if you take all the time of the involved people
into account, a single VDR would be unaffordable. I developed the IR
Controller just for my personal box and have no intention to offer
anything like a kit or a complete module. Of course, there are many
people who would be able to connect a ready made IR Controller to their
ATX and MB, but couldn't programm the PIC and/or build up the board.
Let's see how many people are really interested. For those who don't
have access to a device programmer, I would be willing to program some
chips if you would send a prepared and stamped return envelope with the
unprogrammed PIC (should be around 4 EUR for the DIP version, e.g. at
reichelt.de).

[Mplayer and 'pause']
> If you're interested, I would send you my lircrc and stuff in PM.

Yes, please send it, although I don't think this will help ...
But feel free to use *my* setup and let me know if your MPlayer fails
again ;-)

Am 02.08.2002 22:43 schrieb Christian Vogt:

>... with the new PIC16C745 (build in lowspeed USB 1.1) to support those
> new mainboards without serial interface.

They won't even have a pinheader with a com port?

> Nevertheless I'm very interested in the schematics and the source code
> for the PIC controller. It would be nice if you provide them on your
> website too. (maybe you can create a pdf or something for the
> schematics, because I use a different layout program.)

Done. But you can use the free version of EAGLE, at least for printing
the schematic/layout (and also for routing a thru-hole version ...)

> I'd like to see the clock feature as the next improvement ;-)  If you
> really ...

I said "*one* could think of the following", that wouldn't be
necessarily *me* ...

[PCF 8583]
Yes, for example. See the EPSON RTCxxxx series: integrated crystal,
calender, 1ľA current drain (one lithium cell for backup). Probably
easier (and cheaper!) than implementing this in software in a PIC.

Am 05.08.2002 02:02 schrieb Rene Bartsch:

> A IR-remote-based power-on can also be done by the following setup:
>
> 1. ATX-Mainboard with keyboard power-on

Good idea for IR power on and very simple to setup. But I also wanted to
solve the problem with the front panel power switch.

Thomas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index