[vdr] Re: OST+Allwell.tv (was: Re: Set Tob Box)

I wonder if the Dream Box http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/ uses this
hardware, as some of the features sound very similar.

While they mention "Linux open source (most parts under the terms of
GPL, accordingly expandable)- Supports Linux Standard API (Direct-FB,
Linux-FB, LIRC)" in the feature page, I am trying to find out just how
open they will be as far as developers go.

I would be very pleased to see VDR running on this box.

Richard

> I find this all pretty exiting !
>
> Personally I would like to see VDR just as another service of a multimedia
> box and not as the only program for a dedicated box.
>
> All could be neatly integrated within a whole Multimedia-LAN suite.
> :-)
>
> The Allwell systems are cabable of both server and client work. They
> all can be extended to upto 2 PCI, meaning, that with LAN onboard (some
> have dual) and Audio onboard 2 DVB cards could fit in, making a complete
> server which still can have a DVD drive or (and?) a HDD inside.
> Though I'd prefer to keep the HDD outside and have a DOM or such, since
> it might be more clever to keept any recordings on an external file-server,
> which has more room.
>
> So, in theory:
>
> One 6086 box, acting as router (has dual LAN) and media server. It might
> have 2 DVB cards on the riser and a DVD drive in the bay, boot either from
> own disk or a fileserver. It would run VDR and VideoLAN. And since on the
> riser
> there is an MPEG4 decoder (I think) it would also fit perfectly under the
> TV.
>
> As clients there would be only a need for the lower specced boxes,
> the 3036 with the MPEG2 or MPEG4 decoder.
>
> Only the driver for the MPEG4 decoder seesm to be a problem as of yet.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index