[vdr] Re: How can i tell if dvb drivers are properly loaded ?

Nice !

I've implemented this and as far as i can tell it works ! Great !

Just another question: Do VDRs internal watchdog timers always work ? Or could
it happen that vdr just hangs and will not automatically exit ?

So, does it make sense to create an external script which checks for VDR still
reacting on port 2001 ? Or is this nonsense, since VDR would detect it's own
hanging process and do an emergency exit ?

Martin

> Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> > "- or how does VDR tell if drivers are properly loaded ?"
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > last time i was on vacation my VDR machine should do some recording for
> > me - unfortunately the driver got stuck and (i guess) couldn't be loaded
> > successfully anymore - VDR reported "no video device found ..." and
> > restarted itself over and over again (see log for details).
> >
> > Tomorrow i'm again on vacation and VDR should also make some recordings !
> >
> > This time i want to change the runvdr script to check if drivers are
> > properly loaded (after the make rmmod; make insmod) and if NOT simply
> > reboot the whole machine !
> > But how can the runvdr script tell if drivers are up and running ?
> > I could simply use if [ $LSMOD -eq 0 ] as the runvdr script does - but
> > i'd like to use the same way that vdr uses to be able to detect the
> > problem ... Otherwise the runvdr might fail to detect it and then vdr
> > still does not run
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > So can anyone tell me how *exactly* vdr does detect this ?
>
> Look at VDR/dvbapi.c, functions cDvbApi::Init() and cDvbApi::Probe().
>
> In case of such an error, VDR returns an exit value of 2.
> You could use that to trigger the reboot.
>
> Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index