[vdr] LIRC transmitter

I'm trying to use LIRC with a serial port transmitter as described on

  http://lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html

in order to control my Sky Digibox from within VDR. The hardware appears
to work, and the signals generated by LIRC do switch the Digibox - most of the
time. Sometimes, however, it looks as if some of the signals aren't "clean"
enough for the Digibox to recognize them, and in such cases the channel switching
fails - which makes the whole thing useless for VDR, since it needs to reliably
switch channels when doing a recording.

Is there anybody who has experience with transmitting remote control signals
with LIRC and could give me a hand here? My guess would be that sometimes LIRC
has problems generating the exact timing (maybe it gets disturbed by other
interrupts?). I don't get any error code back from the write() call to the
LIRC device, so the program assumes everything was ok. It would help if LIRC
returned an error code in case it had problems with generating the correct
signals.

Klaus