[vdr] Re: Some suggestions,

Dennis Noordsij wrote:

> * The Finnish cable network uses both QAM-64 and QAM-128, for now I am using
> the diseqc field in channels.conf and a small modification to the VDR sources
> in order to specify the right QAM settings on a per-channel basis, but at
> some point it will affect so many people it could be added to channels.conf ?

I will start doing this tomorrow and hopefully have a complete solution by the end of
the weekend.

> * While watching live TV or a recording, it would be nice to be able to bring
> up the full program info (such as provided in the schedule menu) in addition
> to the short version already provided.

Yet to come...

> * A menu entry (would be a plugin I guess) showing DVB signal strength, error
> rate, etc, just for the geekyness of it all :-)

There's the "Tech-Patch" for version 1.0.4. I'll have yet to see how this best fits
in to version 1.1.x.

> * While watching live TV or a recording, showing info about the stream, i.e.
> bitrate, available audio/subtitle streams, etc. Provided this information
> (especially the bitrate) is known to VDR without having to do any further
> parsing of the stream itself.

Yet to come...

> * It would be nice to have a schedule showing all programs on all channels,
> rather than only for the current channel. I understand VDR already caches
> this information, and together with the existing auto-scan feature after a
> certain time period of inactivity (i.e. every night on a dedicated VDR) this
> should be possible? It makes it easier to select shows you want to record
> (not having to do it for every channel seperately).

There's the "Calendar-Patch" for version 1.0.4.

> * While viewing the schedule list (see above suggestion also) it would be a
> very nice feature to somehow highlight (different color or mark) shows which
> are already marked for recording. I've found that even with the limited
> channels available here and the many series airing I often end up wondering
> if I already selected a program or not.
>
> * The big thing, which I am sure has already been discussed before, recording
> shows based on the name. I.e. every day there is a Seinfeld episode here (I
> know I know, we are so behind!! :-), could be a generic timer which records
> anything matching "Seinfeld", regardless of channel or time, automatically
> updated every time new EPG data is available.

The "Master Timer" tool does that.

> * An external plugin (read: perl script) through which all known program data
> is piped, which filters out programs matching a certain keyword or
> expression, such as an actor/actress, director, or description, and
> automatically schedules the show for recording (low priority). This is of
> course an extended version of the suggestion above this one, and would
> replace it. When more EPG data becomes available, this process is repeated to
> update the timers. I imagine this to work out so that every night, say at 4
> am, after 5 hours of inactivity, VDR scans all channels for EPG data, and
> compiles a new list.
> A kind of automatic, volatile seperate timer list could be added for this (or
> incorporated into the existing timer list), which contains automatically
> scheduled timers, that way the external plugin could communicate with VDR via
> telnet to set these timers and manage them, as long as every once in a while
> VDR triggers a new compilation based on new EPG data.

Again, AFAIK, "Master Timer" is what you are looking for.

> * This one is more of a question. Does the EPG broadcaster specifically sends
> "now playing this show", or is the now-playing information deduced from the
> entire (time-based) EPG schedule? If not the latter, the recording process
> could monitor this information for more accurate recordings? (i.e. less time
> record before and after the show).

This has often been discussed here... The EPG data is not precise enough to do that.

Klaus