[vdr] Re: DVD playback hangs

Hi Gerald,

Gerald Stieglbauer wrote:
> Hi there

[...]

> For testing reasons, I put my DVD-Drive into the first computer, installed
> the DVD-Player ogle and start to watch "The man who fell to earth". I had no
> problems at all. After some seconds the DVD starts to play.

Normaly the DVD drive would have been my first bet, but since you used
the same one on both systems .....

> Then I put the drive into the second computer. Although there is the same
> motherboard inside and even the same OS (Linux Debian sarge) installed, the
> player hangs after starting to get the second key.

It would be very helpfull to be able to compare the dvdcss output from
thr running system with the non running.

[...]

> Here is my output, if I use ogle for DVD playback (I had the same libdvdcss
> output with the patch):

[...]

> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.2 for DVD access
> libdvdcss debug: disc is scrambled
> libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
> libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
> libdvdcss debug: authentication established
> libdvdcss debug: GetASF authenticated, ASF=1
> libdvdcss debug: decrypting disc key with player keys
> libdvdcss debug: decrypted disc key is 4a:03:71:23:4c

accessing the disc apparently worked

> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000133
> libdvdcss debug: getting title key the classic way
> libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
> libdvdcss debug: drive authenticated, using variant 0
> libdvdcss debug: authentication established
> libdvdcss debug: ioctl ReadTitleKey failed (region mismatch?)

but something still goes wrong

[...]

> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x00001ee3
> libdvdcss debug: getting title key the classic way
> libdvdcss debug: requesting AGID
> ---> here libdvdcss hangs endlessly...

same here ...

The first thing that come to mind is downgrading the drive to a RPC-1
firmware. That should get rid of the 'ioctl ReadTitleKey failed' and may
resolve the hang as well.

Andreas