[vdr] Re: documentation

Hi Maarten,

VDR requires a certain DVB setup to be already configured. Most notably,
/video/channels.conf

This file contains all frequencies and other details needed to tune in and
watch/record.

The DVB stuff (start at www.linuxtv.org) has some documentation, but I agree
it's not as easy as it could be, your best help will be the mailing list
archives.

Basically - install the drivers, make sure they load properly and you see a
(c) Convergence text on the tv-out when the driver is being loaded (this will
disappear of course).

Then, start playing with dvbtune (search for dvbtools on sourceforge), give it
a frequency, symbolrate, and whatever is needed for DVB-S (I only have
experience with DVB-C).

Once it tunes in and shows you which audio/video streams there are, you are
ready to create a channels.conf

Remember dvbtune can tell the DVB card which audio/video PID's you want to
watch, so tv-out should already show that channel without using VDR just yet.
This is a good way of finding out wether everything is working.

Then, you are ready for VDR :)

I'd recomment subscribing to the DVB mailinglist as well, and read all the
docs you can find.

Cheers,
Dennis

--
Do not permit a woman to ask forgiveness, for that is only the first
step.  The second is justification of herself by accusation of you.