[vdr] A compliment and a question :)

Hi list (especially Klaus)

First of all, let me say VDR is absolutely great stuff. I plugged in a second
DVB card last night, and VDR automatically did the right thing. "It just
works." Recording, timers, playback, schedule, it works flawlessly. It's a
great piece of work, easy to use, wife-proof, and works great with my lirc
setup. Thank you!!

Master-timer is the great add-on for automatic scheduling, with a good design
idea as well (seperate program, communicates with VDR) etc. Some day I'll
make a VDR plugin for a simple frontend for master-timer, so you can schedule
keywords to record with just the remote control. For now, it's no problem to
make a long list of keywords to use when scanning for stuff to record through
SSH :)

There's one thing I would like to see though, and I will add it myself if it
hasn't been done before, but I thought I'd ask for a quick pointer to the
right place in sources as well as some feedback on how you would like to see
it done.

In the schedule list, I would like programs that are covered by a timer to be
somehow highlighted or marked, so I know that master-timer picked it up and
scheduled it for recording (or of course wether I already marked it for
recording myself before - short memory :-). So, while building the OSD list,
for every entry ask the timers class wether there is a timer covering this
timeslot and channel, and if so, mark it on the OSD.

A second question (just popped up!) concerns overlapping timers on the same
channel. I know that with the new transfer mode used in the development
versions of VDR this can probably be handled, but (I use 1.0.4) is there a
way to cleanly add this to VDR, so that the overlap is stored to disk to the
first recording, as well as the beginning of the second recording, and of
course, is this desirable (i.e. if you say "no way" that's ok too :-)

But this is no biggie, with 2 cards they can handle the overlap easily, it's
just for the rare case where one card will already be in use for replay (not
using transfer mode or one-card timeshifting) which would then have to be
interrupted to record the overlap.

Cheers, and again many thanks!
Dennis