[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andreas Mixich" <sp.amix@gmx.net>
To: "vdr" <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 5:59 AM
Subject: [vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR

> Rene Bartsch wrote in a Mail about "[vdr] Re: "Embedding" VDR":

GB/minute,
> and 144GB/hour. The streams come seldomly in better quality than 4MBit/s.

4 MBit/s is the MPEG2-stream, but at the V4L-device you have to grab the
complete, uncompressed video!

Or did
> I misunderstand something completly ? A 100MBit Ethernet should  be
cabable  of
> transferring  apporx. 70-80MB/s as far as I am informed.

The netto-rate is about 3.5 MByte/s or 8 MByte/s if you have NICs with on
cache/CPU.

That would easily allow
> to play a MP3 in the kitchen, a DivX on the stationary server and transmit
a DVB
> boradcast to the bedroom.
>
> I assume you mean, that the V4L grab is 40MByte/s ?

Yes!

> > If you create a plugin to VDR, you could directly send as many
> > streams/programs your machine can handle as feed to FFSERVER which takes
> > them OnAir.
> > (My goal is to have 4 low-budgets in a server which would make me
> > possible
> > to send *ALL* TV/Radio-programs of 4 transponders over the network at
> > the
> > same time!!!) You just go to FFSERVER's webpage on your server, click a
> > link
> > and you get the MPEG-stream to your client.
>
> Cool !

Yes, but I'm no C/C++-programmer. That's why I wasn't able to do it yet.
Interested?

> > Please, don't use the bad word! Flash means security-holes and
> > compatibility
> > problems with browsers!
> > I've learned to keep to generic solutions straightly!
>
> Well, I really don't care. This is not an  Internet  application,  it
will  all
> happen  within a hardware-DMZ-LAN, no exterior access.

Klaus Schmidinger thought the same about VDR ...

And for others, who would
> like to use the application: Nobody will xfer a DVB  stream  over  his
Internet
> connection,  I assume. And in order to program the VDR SSH should be good
enough
> or a web-interface, which all  needs  absolutly  no  Flash.

VDRADMIN is a nice webinterface to handle VDR (only cutting is not
available).