[vdr] Re: DXR3 reliable?

On Thursday 24 October 2002 15:44, Rene Bartsch wrote:

[...]

> I know this will upset the DXR3-programmers as they don't like MPlayer, but

I can't talk for the others working on the dxr3 plugin, but for me it's not so
that i don't like mplayer. I use it all the time to play avi's. It only
looses A/V sync far to often. Last time i checked, mplayer disabled hardware
A/V sync on the DVB card when playing through it, but couldn't get the
syncing right itself either.

Anyway, the main problem i have with mplayer as a vdr backend is that even
theire "slave" mode does not meet the requirements of a settop-box. Any and
all userinteraction has to go through only one channel, the video out. There
should be no consol output whatsoever as the user will normaly not be able to
read that. MPlayer outputs extensive information though the console, some of
which might be interresting to or needed by the user.

BTW: The same problem exists with all the dvd libs, thats the reason you are
not getting any meaningfull error reporting there.

Andreas