[vdr] is there a way to show UTF with OSD

Hi there,
first of all congratulations for vdr, excellent piece of software.

i use vdr now for quite a while and wanted now to put on some movies and radioplays i have with titles in swiss-german and some in cyrillic. All i can see, in case a see something at all are ??? ???'' '??..
I created another partition in linux type vfat, and i am able to see the correct filenames at the commandline, but not in vdr.

Is there a way to correct this? I'd be glad to help on this topic even though i'm just a parttime programmer.

Thanks

Nik