[vdr] Bad quality in vdr recordings

Hi!

I'm getting lots and lots of artifacts and scrambled video when
recording with vdr compared to the (nearly) perfect recording from
commandline with

$ dvbstream -o -v $VPID -a $VPID | ts2pes $VPID $TPID > foo.pes

or the same with hardsplitting into 1gb files

$ dvbstream -o -v $VPID -a $VPID | ts2pes $VPID $TPID | split -b 1024m - foo

I know that vdr pokes into the ts stream in order to split files from
I-frames and stuff, but is it so demanding that it starts losing data?

I've played the vdr recordings with ntuxplayer and mplayer too, so the
playback is not the problem. I also tried recording with only the
vdr-daemon being active (no viewer) and it didn't improve the quality
either.

Is anybody else experiencing bad quality with vdr recordings?

I'm using vdr-1.1.9 and current cvs version of the newstruct dvb
driver with the Hauppauge DVB-C card. I'm running Debian GNU/Linux
2.4.18 on a C466 with 192MB of memory. I'm only getting low disk space
warnings from vdr to /var/log/messages every two minutes.

jaakko