[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rene Caspari" <debian@ahrcas.net>
To: "VDR" <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 3:49 PM
Subject: [vdr] "stand-by-recording"

> It's a little bit hard for me to describe, because my english isn't
> so good, but i want to try it:
>
> I want to record in background the same, what i'm watching - but the
> recordingfile should has a static size (for example 1gb).

Use the driver from Klaus Schmidinger's homepage. It includes
time-shifting-capable firmware and use VDR-1.1.13/14.
So you can record multiple channels or record and display at the same time.

> So if the file is full, i want to delete the beginning of the file
> like i write new data at the end:
>
>   abcdefghi ==> bcdefghij ==> cdefghijk ==> ... ==> hijklmnop
>   |--1gb--|     |--1gb--|     |--1gb--|             |--1gb--|
>
> I hope you could understand, what i mean :-)
>
> Are there any deliberations, if this will be implemented in vdr?
> If not, has anyone an idea, how this could be realized under linux?

This could be implemented, but the question is who will do that job in
C/C++.

But you can set the filesize in VDR-menu and run a script, which
periodically checks the filenames/-size to delete the used ones.

If you set filesize to e.g. 1024 and run a script which deletes all files
which have reached 1 Gbyte or you delete all files by name except the last
one, you won't exceed 1,5 Gbyte.

Rene