[vdr] Re: "stand-by-recording"

> > I want to record in background the same, what i'm watching - but the
> > recordingfile should has a static size (for example 1gb).
> > So if the file is full, i want to delete the beginning of the file
> > like i write new data at the end:
> >
> >   abcdefghi ==> bcdefghij ==> cdefghijk ==> ... ==> hijklmnop
> >   |--1gb--|     |--1gb--|     |--1gb--|             |--1gb--|
> >
> > I hope you could understand, what i mean :-)
> >
> > Are there any deliberations, if this will be implemented in vdr?
> > If not, has anyone an idea, how this could be realized under linux?
>
> Hi,
>
> i think your idea could be extended. Why not use this x gb ringbuffer
> permanently and then set the card to transfermode all the time, so you
> could pause live tv right away without first switching to transfer mode,
> and also even baetter you can rewind live tv, which normaly is not
> possible, since you normaly dont know that an interesting scene will
> show up in advance.

i don.t know how often i suggested to have such a feature over the
last 2 years, but was never heard.

i for myself think that the available RAM should be enough for such a
buffer. eg. 256mb would give you about 5min buffer (it.s a rough guess
of course - total RAM minus RAM used be the system). so you don.t have
to use the HD all the time. 5min of video are "cached" in the RAM, and
if you press "pause", HD spins up and the "cache" is written to disk.
so you don.t miss a thing if you "pause" for more than 5min...

what do you think?

i would LOVE to have this feature... it.s just great !!!

regards hannes!

Johannes Schöller
<schoeller@gmx.at>