[vdr] Re: VDR developer version 1.1.15

On Sunday 03 November 2002 19:15, Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
> On 03 Nov 2002 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:
> > So am I right to understand that this means that AC3overDVB requires
> > extensive processing of the DD data, which in turn requires additional
> > libs? I was hoping that this would be just a matter of sending the data
> > to the driver, maybe with a few _small_ modifications...
>
> AFAIK AC3overDVB doesn't requires post-processing the data. The
> AC3 data is encapsulated into some kind of PCM frame.

correct.

> Only down-mixing AC3 to stereo requires post-processing and
> additional libs. This should be no issue for DVB data as all
> broadcast with AC3 have a normal stereo stream too. But with DVD
> sources this isn't true in most cases.

There could (should?) IMHO be a plugin that decodes AC3 and sends it to a
soundcard. That would be interesting for people with 6 channel analog audio
out cards. Some basic mediating facility for that should be included into
VDR's core as this functionality is usefull not only for normal replay, but
also for DVD's.
Note: This can of course currently be done with the -a switch, but the
required external programs usualy mixup A/V sync and introduce large and
noticable amounts of jitter.

Andreas