[vdr] Re: Standby

Emil Naepflein wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Nov 2002 13:53:39 +0100, Beppe <vdr@beep.mine.nu> wrote:
>
> > @Emil
> > no there is no power to fans, only for the ram and devices that
> > can/will/suppose to wake up the machine.
>
> It was so with th MSI barebone. The screen went black and the cpu fan
> stopped, but the fan of the power supply still was running. Because of
> network interrupts the machin woke ab after a few seconds. The drivers
> and vdr had to be reloaded to make it work again.
>
> But probably it depends on the power supply.

Hi,

IMHO it depends of the mainboard and bios, the powersuply doesn't "know"
anything about STR... The only thing that can/will happend, if the ps
doesn't deliver enough energy in standby mode is taht the ram will loose
ist contents and in consequence the machine crashes when leaving standby
mode. Perhaps because of this msi decided not to power down the ps.
AFAIR the acpi spec. requires the ps fan to be switched off in S3 mode!?

At least on all my asus boards (A7V133, P2B) the ps fan is switched off
when entering STR.

Cu Ulrich