[vdr] Re: PowerManagement in current VDR?

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Mattia Rossi (MR) wrote:

MR> > Maybe a kind off a standby-button or menu-entry ? Of course vdr does not know
MR> > if I'm sitting there and watching, but I could tell him ;o)))
MR>
MR> But  then  you  already  have  the power button .... that way you save
MR> _much_ more power and make Klaus's life a lot easier.
MR>
MR> I  think we should keep things in perspective, power management is not
MR> VDR business. If I want my system to save power or to cool down I turn
MR> it off (or use the autoshutdown script, whatever), just like any other
MR> appliance in my house.

first -- I don't think it's a must-have feature, but I want to explain the
idea behind that:

If you have two "normal" sat recievers (one connected to the tv and one to
your  vcr,  so  you could record one channel and watch an other), then you
just  switch  off  the second one if you are not recording even if you are
watching  tv.  The  thing  is,  that you are able to do that since it is a
small  box  of its own. In a VDR machine all the receivers (DVB cards) are
built-in  into  one  box,  so  you  cannot switch them off one-by-one that
easyly.

Now  this  poweroff feature would allow you to turn off not used receivers
-- and even better -- it would do it automatically.

c ya
        Sergei
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de