[vdr] Re: PowerManagement in current VDR?

On Fri, 08 Nov 2002 16:38:07 +0100, Helmut Auer <vdr@helmutauer.de>
wrote:

> > A "fake channel" is certainly not the right way, but Steffen Barszus
> > suggested a "Standby" function, which could do that. So if the user
> > explicitly selects the "Standby" function, all cDevices could release
> > their file handles and the driver would then turn off LNB power.
> >
> A standby function would be really nice, but is there any reason to keep VDR
> alive when going into standby mode ?
> Its also possible to stop VDR and restart it when the PC awakes.
> So just another parameter for the shutdownskript could be enough.

Not if you have a server. I have a 4 card system and the timers are
regularily updated by epg2timers and occasionally by vdradmin. My server
box currently uses about 180W 24/7. This means about 200 EUR per year
only for power.

I vote for a *soft* standby mode activated by the user which powers down
the primary card, and an automatic standby of secondary cards when not
in use. The epg scan could be run every few hours and/or after a
recording on one of the secondary cards have been terminated.

Emil