[vdr] SCART status pin for turning the TV on

Hi,

based on the ongoing VDR standby feature I started thinking about turning
the TV automatically when VDR is active.

At least my DVD player provides this feature: the TV is turned on
automatically when the DVD player is turned on, and the TV shutsdown when
the DVD player is shutdown. This is a feature of the SCART cable. I'm not
sure which pin provides it thought (I'm guessing it's one of the status
pins).

IIRC the DVB card is not able to provide this signal. So I was wondering
whether it would be possible to implement some gizmo for the serial port
which would signal the TV. The gizmo could be controlled by a piece of
software called by VDR through one of its scripting interfaces.

Now the problem in my case is that I have no experience in electronics, so
I'm in no way capable of designing something like this. And I have also no
experience in writing software for the serial port (although this is a lot
less challenging task for me ;)

So could somebody verify whether it would be at all feasible to implement
something like this? And maybe provide the designs for the serial port
gizmo as well ;)

The gizmo should be active when ever a user is watching TV. I.e. even if
VDR has become active after a standby because a timer is active, the gizmo
would stay inactive. The gizmo would become active again once the user
wakes VDR up by e.g. pressing the standby button again.

If VDR could wake up the TV automatically when active, I could get rid of
the remote control for my TV.

And what comes to the standby feature as such: for me personally it would
be a lot better feature than the actual shutdown feature. My VDR box
doubles as a firewall so I don't want to shut it down completely. And I
don't care whether VDR is running or not in the background.  If it's not
doing anything, it'll just be swapped off. And waking VDR up again would
be simple since it's listening for LIRC any how (not sure what the standby
feature would do to people using the DVB card for IR).

 --
  Lauri