[vdr] mpeg2 to mpeg2 transcoder ?

Hi there,

I am looking for a simple and fast way to transcode mpeg2 files (e.g. DVD) to
other formatted mpeg2 files.
My final destination is, to transcode, let's say an old Edgar Wallace DVD
Movie (from DVD), form its source mpeg2 format to 352x288 Pixel Mono-Audio
Mpeg2 (NOT Mpeg1 !) for saving Disk-Space. No one needs more Resolution in
such old movies anyway, Multichannel Audio the same :-)

I tried several tools,  such as "dvd2svcd", finally I found the Roxio Movie
Pack for Windows, but this one is not able to transcode in non-SVCD/DVD
formats, and simply ignores to transcode AC-3 to Mpeg-Audio...

The Only way I found was to encode Mpeg2 -> AVI (lossless compressed) ->
mpeg2 of my flavour with Tmpeg... but this takes a very long time and very
much user interaction... and it runs under Windows :-)

I also tried a lot with mplayer, but I didn't find a way yet.

Does anyone has some hints ?

--

Ulrich