[vdr] Re: unique channel id

Ulrich Petri wrote:

> Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:
> > Hello @ll,
> > sorry to once more raising this topic, but something went
> > wrong with the way
> > 1.1.16 was implemented.
> >
> > To recall the intentions:
> > 1. There are lots of tv- and radio-stations out there and I am sure
> > everybody identifies the stations by name.
> > 2. There a a lot of combinations of tuning parameters: VPID,
> > APID, SID and
> > sat-transponder(position + frequency + polarization). The
> > later Information
> > might even by substituted with some sort of combination of
> > sat-position,
> > TID, NID and/or ONID.
> >
> > Now, if I want to set up a list of my favorite
> > tv/radio-stations I want to
> > refer to them by name, nothing else.
> > But vdr only needs the tuning parameters, it doesn't need
> > names to tune.
> >
> > < snipped nice explanation why we should have non-data-carrying keys>
>
> I totaly agree with you.
> But this would imply we need some central channel registration, in order
> to get updates to the channel data, from one source.
> Perhaps this could be done through a web interface?!

I don't think such a "central channel registration" is a good idea.
What if new channels appear in the data stream? Are you going to wait until some
central mechanism has assigned a number to them? And how would you react on actual
parameter changes? If, for instance, channels are identified by their NID+PID+SID
(plus source and, optionally APID) the system could dynamically update changes in
the name, transponder frequency, polarization (or other tuning parameters), VPID
and (at least for tv channels) APIDs. The NID+PID+SID already _is_ the unique
identification of a channel (again, maybe with the additional APID for channels
that break this rule).

VDR will later implement a "favourite channels" mechanism where the user can
have a file that contains just these channel IDs (optionally followed by a name
that can overwrite the original channel name, in case he wants them differently).
And there it will also be possible to have the same channel ID more than once,
with (optionally) different names, so that you can set up your "bouquets".

Klaus