[vdr] AC3 state at Present?

Hi,

i'm in the process of moving to a new location and so i will get new
audio equippment. But before buying it i want to have some clearness
about the momentarily state of ac3 with vdr.
I scanned through the the ml but i never found any definitive yes|no
answer, only outdatet links and such. So my questions are:

- Does AC3 work with 1.1.x ?
- If yes: Is it possible to use the S/PDIF out of a Nexus-s?
- If yes: In live viewing mode and recordings?
- If yes: do i have to use a TTL->S/PDIF voltage "converter"

If any not:
Is there any other *known to be working* solution?
(With working i mean no things like sync loss happening... ;)

Thanks for your answers.

Cu Ulrich