[vdr] Re: Child protection / access control module

Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

> the setup", "setting/deleting timers", "deleting recordings", "watching age restricted
> channels/recordings" etc., or should there be _one_ PIN for each user, which can
> be assigned various "rights"? I believe the latter would be better, since each user

ACK. I was thinking about setting up a config file which contains stanzas
for every user (or group) which can be administered centrally.

> What concerns me the most is: when should the PIN be checked?
> Clearly it should be checked, for instance, when a recording is selected for
> playback that has some age restriction. That would be a one time check at the

While we're at that - is there any information from the EPG or something
which checks the (German) FSK restrictions? For the recordings this can be
handled manually by the administrator if needed.

> start, and that's it. But what if the user wants to zap though the channels?

The problem is that a system like a VDR can only handle one group of users
at a time. So when a 12-year-old watches a film which is restricted to 12
and above nothing prevents him from allowing a smaller sibling from
watching too. But then it's better than nothing.

> is encountered? I guess that might make zapping a bit tedious... So, should there
> be a "timeout" for the "validity" of an authorization? Like, if you have entered your PIN you

A workaround may be to request the PIN for every "restricted" operation,
e.g. switching to a restricted channel according to the per user / group
configuration. Admittedly, this can be quite annoying for restricted
users... but if restricted channels are deleted from the channel selection
it wouldn't be a problem because a person could only see the channels (and
operations, for that matter) for which she or he is authorized. Can be
complicated, though, because every operation in question would need a hook
for it.

> restricted programme and then turn off the tv (and leave VDR running)? The next person
> who turns on the tv would be able to see the restricted programme without authorization.

Correct...

> So, should an authorization only be valid as long as the current programme runs?

Seems so, yes.

--
If the weather is extremely bad, church attendance will be down.  If
the weather is extremely good, church attendance will be down.  If the