[vdr] Re: How to connect the SPDIF of the DVB-s rev 1.3 to a standard SPDIF?

Hi Gregoire,

> So I want to try the SPDIF off the Hauppauge rev 1.3 of my
>DVB-s... I look at http://bashy.bei.t-online.de/scart.html and
> I don't understand which ouptut I will have that way: optical
>or coaxial?

Depends ;o))

The "wire cable" solution is coaxial, which means there
is an electrical(!) connection between your DVB and your
amplifier.  Please be aware that the DVB specs do NOT
match HiFi specs and it would be possible to damage your
amp and / or loudspeakers. This solution is not galvanically
isolated. Some amps also have problems recognizing the
digital packets.

I'm working on a "all-in-one solution" (first PCB is in the
making ;o)) for the DVB & J2 including

- a galvanically isolated digital sound coax output
- TOSLink digital sound output
- RGB
- S-Video
- CVBS Video outputs
- analog sound out with jumperable and level adjustable pre-amp
- IR connecter w & w/o CI Modul (jumerable)

The TOSLINK (T)oshiba (O)ptical (S)ystem LINK) is the
solution where you use a glass fiber cable (you'll need to
get yourself a TOTX(!) 174, 179, 176 optical transmitter)
to connect the DVB card to your amp. Obviously, this is
NOT an electrical connection between DVB and amp. You
can directly feed the Vcc, Gnd and SPDIF outputs of the
DVB card into the TOTX (TX = transmitter RX = receiver).

If you have access to an TOTX (old CD deck), this would
be my choice.

> And what is needed to change in linux DVB and in VDR
>in order to use it?

Nothing ;o)) The digital output is slightly louder than the
analog connection. "I" find the dynamic range of the digital
output to be a bit better than its analog counterpart.

However, you must realize that you then can no longer use
the VDR volume control. Mute (which I don't really understand
why Convergence didn't implement this) doesn't work either.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Hope it helps.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---