[vdr] Re: something interesting happened with my CI this afternoon!

Hello adrian,

I think you have the same problem as many (most?) of us with CI, which
basically means that one must reload the driver (actually, the
firmware) a couple of times (some times _many_) before the CI/CAM are
seen by the driver.
Someone suggested to activate a piece of code in av7110.c (switch with
case DATA_COMMON_INTERFACE) which where '#if 0' away.

This is what I do, and reloads the driver(firmware) until "viaccess"
appears in the logs. But it is not a very nice solution, and I think
that one may have to reload the firmware after some running as well
(the pay-tv channels stops working sometimes).

Maybe we can hope for the driver from the Metzler brothers. I have had
no success compiling theirs, though.

 - Micael

acbc> Hi,

acbc> I tried VDR a few months ago and decided that it wouldn't work properly with my setup (a Rev 1.3 card and a 3.5" drive bay common interface, on mandrake), so I gave up.

acbc> This morning I thought I'd give it another go, so I installed 1.1.18 and the device driver (I'm now running RedHat 8) and compiled and installed everything and ran the software, and like last
acbc> time I could get FTA to work but not encrypted.

acbc> So, I thought I'd try the patch to use the technotrend software, so I downloaded the "release version" from the VDR site (the quite old one), the old driver and applied the patch.

acbc> I then ran the software and without much fuss the CI started decyrypting and all was well and good, except for the fact that vdr is virtually unusable under the patched driver (menus don't work
acbc> properly and and very small!)...so I played around a bit inside VDR and then quit it.  I then did a 'make rmmod' to remove the driver from memory.

acbc> This is where it got interesting.

acbc> For a laugh I decided to see if the new version would work, so I switched to the directory containing the new driver, did a 'make insmod' and it installed and I saw the familier "convergence"
acbc> text scroll down the bottom of the screen, I then switched to the directory containing "vdr 1.1.18" and ran it...

acbc> ..amazingly it started decrypting, thinking it was a fluke I switched to a FTA channel and back to the encrypted channel and a slight pause occured then it started decrypting again...I pulled
acbc> out the card and reinserted it and it was still working...

acbc> ..I was definately running the correct VDR because all the menus were full screen and I was quite excited at the prospect of being able to use VDR!

acbc> ..I then rebooted the machine and have been unable to reproduce this!  which is slightly frustrating....

acbc> ..can anybody shed any light on why this worked for about 2 hours this afternoon (before I rebooted) and how I can make it work again?  I'm pretty sure it was something to do with installing
acbc> the patched driver first...  I may have had some modules from one version of the driver loaded and other modules from the other driver?  I'm not sure, I've not been able to repeat it and I've
acbc> been trying various things for about 4 hours now...

acbc> Thanks.

acbc> Adrian