[vdr] Re: A PAL Broadcast TV Hard Drive Recorder

>I think he wants to feed analogueTV to VDR.
>
>The problem will be, that VDR only handles MPEG-TS and I don't know of any
>software-encoder which can produce MPEG-TS from V4L ...

No, vdr can replay quite some mpeg flavours on the fullfeatured DVB-s cards.
If you just rename DVD vob files to vdr this works great. Same with
standard mpeg 1 files or output of transcode.

To the original question of processor speed:
If I reencode vdr files to divx one pass, thats faster then realtime on
my 2.26 GHz P4
So my guess would be that at about 2 GHz a good quality mpeg 2 encoding
should be possible.
Mencoder dvb functionality  gives another hint: mplayer can decode divx
and encode the result to mpeg1 (I frame only as far as I know) on CPU
below 1GHz.

I heard of projects for analog recording, search source forge. Would be
great if you`d link this together with vdr.

Michael