[vdr] Budget cards, VDR and /dev/video

Dear list,

my apologies in case I have overlooked the obvious, but:

How do I set up vdr-daemon with a Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA (budget) DVB-S card?
The drivers (I use a quite recent oldstruct CVS version from Convergence)
seem to work fine as the test tool that come with them render useful results
(i.e. I can get a channel list dumped from a transponder for example) but
vdr-daemon quits with "No video device found".

I learned somewhere else that budget cards don't provide a /dev/video device
because they don't have an MPEG-2 decoder. No problem with that as I do not
want to watch TV at all but record DVB-S streams to harddisk on a headless
system in order to do other things with it later.

How do I make vdr stop looking for the video device and why does it do that
at all? (My understanding from V4L was that /dev/video provides an analog
stream?)

Regards,
Torsten