[vdr] Re: vdr + dxr3 + mp3 -> not working properly

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Rantanen Teemu wrote:

> > From: Marko Myllymaa [mailto:myllymaa@niksula.hut.fi]
> >
> > I just tried newest vdr (1.1.25), dxr3 plugin (0.1.5) and mp3 plugin
> > (0.7.10). The dvb driver is
> > the on Klaus recommended (2003.02.16).
>
> I have the same combination and I'd say this is the best-working combination
> I've tried so far.
>
> > With these and default settings for mp3 plugin, I get mp3 playing but the
> > picture freezes. The
> > picture should be 'live'. The osd for the mp3 works. But unfortunately the
>
> Same for me. Playback works in 'live' mode but the picture does not (OSD
> works though), but in 'black' mode nothing works.

Yep. Besides that mine mp3 playback is not 'smooth' it makes small
clitches quite often.. Like the cpu would be too slow (it's not, 40% still
idle) or like it would do some very harsh clipping.
If I play the song with mpg123 (through dxr3) the playback is fine. And
same with toxine, so the problem is not the mp3 file..

> The problem for me is that I've been experiencing crashes. Picture does
> 'crash' in a weird way (gets distorted and freezes) and VDR stops
> responding. The mp3 playback still continues, but the only way to fix this
> is to restart VDR. Once I had to rmmod/reload dxr3 driver to make it work
> again, but that was only one single time out of approximately ten crashes.
>
> I'm not sure if this is mp3 problem or something else. This might be related
> to freezes I get every now and then when I'm using OSD. The OSD was active
> every time the mp3 playback (VDR) crashed.

I get some of these crashes also, but I think they are minor bugs as they
happen when you are working with vdr. What I would appreciate more is
smooth playback of the tv broadcast.

I watched yesterday one show while I recorded it, using vdr 1.1.22 and
dxr3 0.1.5. They worked just fine. No clitches, nothing out of the
ordinary to the logs.

Only problem is that mp3 plugin does not work with this older vdr. So,
I'll have to do some diffing between these two vdr.. when I have a bit
time to do it.

I try to describe the problem with vdr 1.1.25 and dxr3 0.1.5. The live
video looks otherwise nice, but it makes small stops. Just like when it
gets ring buffer overlow, but smalles, not so long. And the log shows that
there is something wrong with TS packets. I did not try to record with
this new version. So, I don't know if the problem is only on the playback
side.

  Marko