[vdr] Re: Simplified Channels.conf

Lauri Tischler wrote:

> I've been thinking a little about simplifing the channels.conf,
> here is original entry
> ------
> RTL:11881:h:S5.0W:27500:5041:5042:0:123:5040:86:7:0
> ------
> Here would be minimized version it
> RTL:11881:h:S5.0W:27500:5040
> ------
> Where Channelname (RTL) is optional, if missing, then taken from stream
> service name.
> Frequency, Polarization, Satellite, Symbolrate, Sid, are required
> Everything else is taken from the stream, like VPid, APid, TPid, DPid.
> First found is used.
>
> Optionally we could define preferences for APid, TPid and DPid, like
> --------
> RTL:11881:h:S5.0W:27500:5040:eng,deu,fin
> --------
> where 'eng,deu,fin' defines order of preference for Audio,
> similar definition can be used for TPid pages and possibily DPid.
> If none defined is found then first found APId is used.
>
> Totally Dumb idea ?

Yes - sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

> Comments...

Determining these settings from the data stream will (presumably) be implemented
in the 1.3.x developer line. But even then the format of channels.conf won't
change (at least not in the way you suggested), since it is _supposed_ to hold
all that data in order to have it available quickly when switching channels.
Think of it as some sort of "cache". When modified information becomes available
via the stream, that one can later overwrite the one stored in channels.conf.

Klaus