[vdr] Re: Simplified Channels.conf

--On den 25 februari 2003 13:41 +0100 Oliver Endriss <o.endriss@gmx.de> wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Determining these settings from the data stream will (presumably) be
implemented in the 1.3.x developer line. But even then the format of
channels.conf won't change (at least not in the way you suggested),
since it is _supposed_ to hold all that data in order to have it
available quickly when switching channels. Think of it as some sort
of "cache". When modified information becomes available via the
stream, that one can later overwrite the one stored in channels.conf.
I already thought about writing a plugin for this purpose. Shouldn't  be
too difficult, but will require some extensions of the plugin
interface.
That thought has crossed my mind too. I don't see the need
for the user to know anything about program ids or polarization or
frequency or similar either, a scan to find at least one
frequency/transponder for every network (or bouqet or whatever it
is that has this information) should be the preferred way
to get going, from there on the software could find out the rest
and handle updates.

/ragge