[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: vdr-osdteletext-0.2

--On den 25 februari 2003 10:15 +0100 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:

So Teletext is just another "private data" stream, packed into BD?
Then there must be some further ID byte to tell apart dolby and
teletext...
That is correct, it is the first byte in the PES data.
Teletext has 0x10...0x1F. I haven't anywhere seen that this
byte _always_ has to be is in a Private Stream 1.
I patched my vdr to be able to separate audio from teletext:

I am working on my teletext subtitles plugin project.
It is pretty sketchy at the moment, I need to understand
how all those things work and what I need to do first.

I have achieved this so far:
It works in live mode and with recordings where also the
teletext has been recorded by setting a Dpid to Tpid.
It automatically finds out PID and teletext page number
for the given (compiled in at the moment) language and
setting for Hearing Imparied subtitles or not from the
PAT/PMT.

I need to patch VDR a little to get some new hooks to do
what I want, and to separate the teletext stream out from
recordings above.

I want to also do this:
- Filter out just the subtitles (all available languages and
Hearing Impaired versions) and just store those in the
teletext stream.
- Somehow signal to the player what teletext page number
in a recording is carrying what language/HI. (At the moment
you have to tune to the channel you recorded it in to get the
right page number, just a temporary cludge.) My current idea
is to just make a software parseble index page at eg page 100
that has this information - this way it is self contained
in the stream, could be repeated often and would possibly be
at least displayable on other systems that would like to use
this information.
- Do better teletext decoding, the current is quite hacky.
- Maybe have more fonts, I currently use the vdr built in one,
I could maybe steal some from the other projects.
- In the furure do real DVB subtitle decoding and recording too.
(- Perhaps get it integrated into VDR - a decoder without subtitles
is no decoder, how the heck am I supposed to understand what
the Iraqies or Turks are saying! :-) But that all depends on what
Klaus wants of course.)

/ragge