[vdr] Re: vdr without full-featured DVB-Card

Christian Bodenstedt schrieb:

But how about the playback-abilities of vdr for the PC-monitor? I found
kvdr but afaik it uses the full-featured cards hardware-overlay functions
to display videos on the monitor. On this list I read about an
mplayer-plugin is it designed to send all video-output of vdr to the
monitor or does it just 'transcode' other videoformats to MPEG2 to allow
playback via the MPEG2-decoder hardware of the full-featured DVB-cards? If
it's made for the first case, how about vdrs osd?
Mplayer-plugin only controls Mplayer. It calls Mplayer with a filename and DVB-X for output. Of course, you could edit mplayer.sh to use GFX or whatever you want for output, but you won't have OSD.

We have a lot of people on the list looking for a software-player plugin. But none of them seems to be capable to do it.

The OSD wouldn't be that problem. The DXR3-plugin has an OSD2VOBsub-renderer. So it would be possible to take the DXR3-plugin, remove the hardware-code, implement a remuxer, which muxes VOBsub-stream rendered from OSD into the A/V-stream and provide this stream by RTP or Pipe (MPlayer-slave commands could be taken from the MPlayer-Plugin).

Or you help to implement the OSD2VOBsub-renderer from DXR3-plugin and player-classes into MPlayer-plugin.

I also heared that an MPEG-4 capable decoder-card from Sigma-Desings would
be supported by vdr. Did anyone made some experiences with such a card and
is it compatible with xvid-encoded movies?

I don't know of the new MPEG-4 capable chips. I don't think they're supported by the DXR3-plugin. But the EM8300-based DXR3 or Hollywood+ do work. This is also a way to get video to monitor as they have overlay wiring.

But a soft-decoder would be better, of course.

btw: why are there so many broken threads on this mailinglist?

Because of that many green guys on the list ...

Rene