[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Maarten van den Berg wrote

> The trick with cat5 is not the [absense of] shielding; it's making
double
> sure that at NO place the twists are 'broken'. Even a short stretch of
> untwisted wire or a loop where the two wires are not snugly together
but
> somewhat apart, can (will!) wreak havoc on your connection. This is
why
> you should be extra-extra careful when crimping RJ45 plugs; a stretch
of
> just 1 (one) centimeter untwisted wire protruding from the plug will
> kill(!) your good signal, (depending on the level of "noise" around).

Your information is very helpful to me. I just wonder why people told me
that they even telephone cables and ISDN wall sockets also work...

I have already spent money in the wrong wall sockets, do you really
believe that only exchanging them against CAT5 sockets would solve all
my 20m+10m (wall sockets connection)+20m problems? Do you really think
that this causes so much loss of signal quality? Getting less then 5
MBit/s from 100 MBit/s just because of some shielding weakness looks a
little unbelievable to me, but if this is really true...
Additionally, turning your house into a full features multimedia home
via Ethernet looks quite complicated...

Thanks again (and to all other users in this ML giving feedback)

Jörg